Rep. Edcel C. Lagman disclosed his positive reactions and practical recommendations to the 1Sambayan coalition.
Lagman enumerated the following:
- It is correct for the opposition groups to unify in preparation for the 2022 elections to offset and upset the Duterte forces’ superior machinery and logistics. With the filing of certificates of candidacy in October just seven months away, it is foolhardy and pretentious for others to pontificate that it is too early to talk about the forthcoming elections.
- It is indeed imperative for a united opposition to have a pool of responsible, credible, respectable, viable and winnable presidentiables and other candidates who are truly oppositionists.
- Formulate a platform anchored on constitutionalism, rule of law, progressive agenda, transparency, accountability, and participatory governance.
- The current 1Sambayan leadership must be able to accommodate leaders from the grassroots and broaden the coalition with the active participation of organizations from labor, urban and rural poor, youth, senior citizens, women, and overseas workers, among other marginalized and disadvantaged sectors.
- Avail of the help of kindred seasoned politicians in the national and local levels who have vast experience in electoral politics and who have tested winning strategies.
- Secure requisite funding to support the wherewithal of a nationwide campaign.
- Assure the independence and impartiality of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and ensure that all the votes cast are counted accurately and promptly by the PCOS (Precinct Count Optical Scan) machines.
- Campaign for qualified citizens to register and those who are registered to vote. People’s default can doom the 1Sambayan crusade for electoral victory
- Organize campaign core groups in all levels from the hinterland barangays to the national fronts.
- Sustain the momentum, relevance, and advocacy of 1Sambayan.
EDCEL C. LAGMAN